Nadia and Mike | Charitable Wedding
Updated: Jul 31
This wedding was not only beautiful but purposeful! The couple donated to CAMH (Center for Addictions and Mental Health) in lieu of wedding favours, donating music therapy for 10 patients and to a scholarship for a recovering patient to attend post-secondary education.
From the bride:
1. Tell us your love story!
Mike & I met in high school, almost 10 years ago now! He was the cool, older jock, who completely surprised me by kicking a soccer ball at me one day in the hallway. We got to know each other slowly over facebook and MSN, and finally had our first date over coffee. We traveled to visit each other while I was away at university for four years, as Mike finished college and began his career in London.
2. What was your favorite part of the day?
My favourite part of our day was our wedding ceremony. We were married in a stunning outdoor chapel, and I chose the music that was played by a string trio. I was so nervous to walk down the aisle with my parents, but as soon as I saw Mike standing at the front of the chapel, I felt like it was just the two of us. I spent the entire ceremony smiling, laughing, and dancing with excitement as I held Mike’s hand and we officially became husband and wife. Walking out of the chapel, hand in hand, with our family and friends smiling and cheering for us, was the best feeling! And we were ready to start the party!
3. What organization did you give back to and why?
We decided to give back to an organization that is very near to our hearts. There are many people in our lives who have been significantly affected by mental illness, and we realize that mental and physical health go hand in hand. We decided in lieu of providing our guests with wedding favours, we would donate the money we would have spent on favours to the Centre for Addictions and Mental Heath. We donated to scholarships that assist clients with pursuing their dreams by enrolling in post-secondary programs. We also donated Music Therapy in the hopes that music expression will help clients as they heal and recover.
So many of our guests commented on our donation and we received so much positive feedback about our decision to donate to CAMH! This donation and positive experience helped to open up a dialogue about mental health and will hopefully inspire others to provide donations or give back in some way while planning their own weddings.
4. Any tips for future brides?
1. Remember what a wedding is really about! We all want to have the perfect wedding day, but what’s really important is all of the days AFTER your wedding day and that you’ve found the right person. It’s so easy to get caught up in such small details. Focusing on the bigger picture really helped to ensure that we actually enjoyed the planning process and our wedding day!
2. Ask for help. I tried to do almost everything myself. I ended up getting really frustrated with myself or with situations, and later realizing that for the most part, people are very happy to help. People often won’t know what you need help with unless you ask for it!
3. Wear comfortable shoes! Your day will be longer than anyone else’s day who is at your wedding, so make sure you’re comfortable!
4. The day goes by SO quickly – make sure to plan at least one moment where you have privacy with your new spouse to take it all in and reconnect. It was also amazing to stand back and watch how much fun everyone else was having, which made the whole experience even better!
5. Don’t chew gum on your wedding day! My husband ended up chewing gum during our first dance. We have some pretty hilarious photos of his facial expressions as he’s chewing!
Read more from the photographer: “I was looking forward to Nadia and Mike’s nuptials for months, and this wedding was everything I hoped it would be and more! Held at Whistle Bear Golf Club, the ceremony was planned with an emphasis on family, friends, and love, and Nadia and Mike made that obvious and then some at this romantic and sweet wedding.
“When I met this pair, we instantly connected! I knew they were meant to be together and they would have a flawless wedding day. Though the couple invited 300 guests, the day still seemed intimate and personal.
“As the day began, I shot Nadia and her bridesmaids dressing up and enjoying 90s pop songs! As Nadia’s look came to life, it was clear she was going to be an absolutely gorgeous bride! Her mermaid gown with its sweetheart neckline was figure-flattering and even more beautiful when paired with her solid white bouquet. The mood was joyous and lighthearted, which set the tone for a fabulous day!
“Mike and his men prepared for the big day in a relaxed, laid-back way as Mike put on his navy suit. Black accents made the details of the suit stand out, and Mike’s men looked sharp in navy suits and black ties.
“We headed to the ceremony location as the groomsmen seated guests and Mike waited to get a glimpse of his beautiful bride. He was all smiles as he took in Nadia, and he had no words for his emotions! The pair could hardly contain their excitement as they said their vows and exchanged rings.
“We explored the amazing grounds of the club and found some secret locations to snap some romantic shots of the couple and the wedding party. The forest and greenery simply popped behind their formalwear and made for the most magical backdrop! Nadia and Mike against the blue sky looked like a postcard come to life! They are simply a beautiful couple.
“We headed to the reception and enjoyed speeches and stories from loved ones before everyone hit the dance floor! I snuck Nadia and Mike out to enjoy the sunset and snap a few more intimate shots before the day ended. What a perfect way to end an incredible day. The sun may have set, but the future is just starting for this pair! “
Photographer NovaMarkina Photography www.novamarkina.com
Dress Store Nicholas & Elizabeth www.nicholasandelizabeth.com
Hair Stylist SOMA HAIR CO. www.facebook.com/somahairco
Makeup Artist Catherine Krahn Makeup Artistry www.ckmua.ca/
DJ Bil Copeland Disc Jockey Services
Cake Designer Grandma’s Oven Bakery & Cakes Inc. www.grandmasoven.ca
Floral Designer Springhill Flowers springhillflowers.com
Cinema and Video Novelist Studios www.noveliststudios.com
Event Venue Whistle Bear Club